I have been wanting to make this recipe for so long, but never seemed to have the right ingredients or the time.
- I love dried fruit.
- I love nuts
- This bread is not only gluten free it is also grain & dairy free!
- The only added sweetener are 2 bananas!!! THAT’S BANANAS!!!
Now, please understand I am up against a pretty magnificent representation of this recipe. I mean, WOW! Its so pretty. Who doesn’t like pretty things? Check it out here.
If you haven’t figured it out yet I love finding ways to cut corners, especially when it comes to cutting cost.
Here is my problem, I need walnuts, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, and pistachios. This could easily add up to $20 or more depending on where you shop. Who wants to spend $20 on ingredients to make bread? Not this girl.
Here is my solution:
I had to get my hands a little dirty and invest a little time by picking out most of the nuts I needed.
* I got this nut mix at Aldi. If you don’t shop at Aldi, you should. However, if you don’t have an Aldi near you or you like spending nearly double for similar name brand products then look for a nut mix at your favorite grocery. I promise the mixed nuts will be a better value than buying each nut separately.
* I also got my dried fruit at Aldi. They had a cranberry, blueberry, cherry mix I snatched up to help cut costs too!
*I missed out on pistachios in this mix but I had some leftover in my pantry so I was good to go.
- 2 Ripe Bananas (mashed or puréed in food processor/ricer)
- 2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tbs. Whole Flax Seeds
- 2 Cups chopped dried fruit (it has to be dried fruit) apricots, cranberries, apricots, dates, figs, blueberries are what I used, but you can also add, pineapple, strawberry, or mango. If you want to really jazz things up you can add natural coconut or candied ginger.
- 2 Cups chopped nuts (I used almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pecans, and hazelnuts). You could easily mix those up and add pepitas, sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts, or pine nuts.
***As a side note…all of these nuts look cool all together but don’t try to chop the all together. I quickly learned it’s a sure fire way to launch nuts all over your kitchen counter and floor.
**preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly spray a standard loaf pan with cooking spray. I used parchment to allow easy/uniform removal as well.
- Purée or mash the bananas and add them to a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and whisk together.
- Incorporate the almond flour, baking powder, salt, and flax seeds.
- Add mixed dried fruit and mixed nuts and fold into batter until evenly coated and press into loaf pan (batter will be thick).
**Great for breakfast or a mid-day pick-me-up snack.
**Toasting this bread with butter is time you will will look forward to until this loaf is gone.
Make life taste amazing,