Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means I may earn commission should you use my link to make a purchase. This link will not increase your Amazon cost or affect your purchase in any way.
In an effort to maintain my ability to eat delicious casseroles with a gluten free lifestyle I developed my version of this holiday staple: Green Bean Casserole. This is one of my absolute favorite casseroles. It’s almost not Thanksgiving or Christmas without it. I even made it for Easter dinner this year. As much as I love it, my son loves it 100 times more. He is nine and quickly approaching the age where I fear he could actually eat the entire bowl himself.
I not only tailor this to be gluten free I also tailor it to be mushroom free. My brother-in-law and kiddos prefer it without mushrooms. If I had it my way I’d make it with double mushrooms.
- 4 14 oz. Cans of Cut Green Beans
- 1/2 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 Cup Gluten Free Fried Onions
- 8 oz. Sautéed Button Mushrooms (optional)
- 2 Cups Milk (I use whole milk but any % is fine)
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder (my garlic powder looks a little darker because I used Penzeys Roasted Garlic Powder, but regular will be just as good)
- 1 – 1/2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. Season Salt
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Open and drain the green beans and dump into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in a saucepan on low heat.
- When the butter is completely melted add the flour.
- Add the milk
- Turn off the burner and add the seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, season salt, & Worcestershire sauce. Combine all ingredients.
- Pour into large bowl with green beans and add the cheese to the same bowl.
- Pour mixture into your favorite casserole dish (no need to grease).
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes uncovered.
- After 25 minutes remove from oven, add the fried onions and cook for 5 additional minutes. Keep a watchful eye on the onions so they don’t burn. You just want them to be golden brown and slightly toasted.
- Enjoy immediately