Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means I may earn commission should you use my link to make a purchase. This link will not increase your Amazon cost or affect your purchase in any way.
This is my deal with 1000 Island dressing…I think its original form is kind of bland and I’m not a fan AT ALL of sweet pickles or sweet relish…However, I do love a good 1,000 Island sauce if done right. And by ‘right’ I mean the way I make it!
I set out to make a more zesty (but not too spicy) version of this old fashioned favorite. My secret weapons are Tony Packos Pickles which have a sweet-hot, fantastic thing going on, and Asian Chili Garlic Sauce.
I have also added Smoked Paprika because I have a slight obsession with it and try to workout into any dish I think it may apply. It adds a richness and a flavor that makes the tester go “hmmm, what is that?” In a good way!
- 1/2 Cup Real Mayonnaise (you can use vegan mayonnaise for a vegan version)
- 1 tsp. Dried Minced Onions
- 1 tsp.Asian Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbs Pickle Juice
- 1/4 Cup Tony Packos Pickles – Chopped (or your favorite pickle)
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 2 tsp. Sugar
- Add all the ingredients into a small bowl.
- Stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Store in fridge for about an hour so the minced onions can rehydrate.
This dressing is NOT just for salad….
- Ruben sandwich spread
- Onion ring dip
Salad Doesn’t Have to be Boring,