I live in Cleveland, Ohio. It’s cold and snowy here and cabin fever is, literally, running rampant in our house. My kids and I have made homemade play dough many times through the years. They enjoy picking the colors for their dough and mixing it in. However, I knew we needed to kick it up a notch.
- My kids are getting older.
- My kids are tired of the same old same old.
I was inspired by play dough recipes that use natural spices to awaken the olfactory sense when I came up with ice cream flavored play dough.
Ingredients: (I bet you have most of these in your house already)
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 cup Salt
- 2 Cups Water
- 1Tbs. Vegetable Oil (or whatever kind of oil you have on hand)
- 4 tsp. Cream of Tarter
- Optional Ingredients: Food Coloring, Sprinkles, Extracts.
- Measure all of the ingredients in a saucepan (kids can help).
- Stir ingredients together (kids can help), also, if you want your dough to be all one color you can add the food coloring at this stage.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat, stirring constantly, or it WILL burn.
- It takes 3-5 minutes for the mixture to come together but when it does it happens fast.
- Once the mixture forms a cohesive clump in the pan & doesn’t stick to the sides you can take the pan off the burner.
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit.
- Once it is cooled you can divide the dough into however many equal parts you would like. We did 4 equal parts for this batch.
Making this is so EASY and your kids can help before the stove part.
- Strawberry – 1-1&1/2 tsp. (strawberry ice cream)
- Vanilla & Butter Flavor Extract 1tsp./each (cake batter ice cream)
- Coconut Extract 1-1&1/2 tsp. (coconut ice cream)
- Coco Powder 1-1&1/2 tsp. (chocolate ice cream)
You can use any flavor you like: Butter Pecan, Vanilla, Raspberry, Lemon, Caramel, etc.
Store in airtight containers or zipper bags to keep fresh. Should stay soft for months. If it dries out whip up a new batch and get creative.
- Calming/energizing essential oil scents: Lavender, Chamomile, Frankincense, Bergamot Orange, Ying-yang, lemon, or peppermint (be careful your kids don’t eat this play dough)
- Go glitter crazy.
- Aromatic spices are also fun: Cinnamon, Allspice, Ginger, and Nutmeg to name a few.
***Let me know how you enjoyed this recipe or if you tried some of my suggestions or something different!