This Soup is 4 Things: Simple, Delicious, Budget Friendly, and Healthy
***This soup is creamy and delicious without any added milk or cream which keeps this dish guilt-free!
You will need the following ingredients for the soup:
- 3 Lbs. cooked & peeled sweet potatoes: you can boil, bake, or microwave them.
- 4 Cups chicken or vegetable broth.
- 1cup of water
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 medium onion
- If you want the soup to have some extra kick I often add 1 tsp. of chipotle powder.
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Sauté chopped onions in olive oil (about 1/2 Tbs.) for about 4-5 minutes: The onions should be slightly browned. This process adds flavor depth without taking a lot of time.
- Add the cooked & peeled potatoes in a large pot with 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth in the pan with the onions.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add smoked paprika.
- Purée soup. I used an immersion blender, but if you don’t have one a food processor or regular blender gets the job done.
- Here is where you add the additional cup of water to thin the soup (may need more or less than one cup based on personal preference).
- Serve with my budget friendly croutons.
Cinnamon Chipotle Crouton Ingredients:
- Whatever bread I have on hand (cubed). I used leftover naan from dinner the night before for the croutons pictured. DO NOT buy special bread (unless you really want to). Once you cook the bread in butter and seasonings it ALL tastes good!
- 1 Tbs. of butter per cup of bread. I used 2 Tbs. because I had 2 cups of cubed naan for this batch.
- Seasoning: For this batch I used 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon and chipotle powder, with a pinch of salt.
Instructions for Cooking:
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan.
- Add the cubed bread and seasonings.
- Stir continuously until the bread soaks up all the butter and start to brown (slightly). This whole process takes about 3-5 minutes. There is no reason to buy croutons anymore!!!
***You can cater the seasonings to your pallet and/or to the dish you are making. I chose cinnamon and chipotle because it plays well with the sweetness of the sweet potato.
***Some other options: garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Italian herb mix, cinnamon sugar, chili powder, cumin, etc. you get the idea…you can’t mess this up!
***I serve this soup with grilled cheese or a hearty salad for a quick dinner.
***This soup can be made a couple days before and freezes beautifully.
Let me know if you tried either of these recipes and if you tried anything new.